The use of cold or heat has already been mentioned. The speed at which we feel good enough to take weight on a joint again and use it all day is affected by such things as:
– The severity of your impact or fall;
– What structure has been injured; such as a pulled muscle, bruising, ligament strain or joint lock/subluxation;
– Whether there is underlying arthritis or degeneration….the body may not be able to make use of treatment as readily as support tissues are less resilient and blood flow to the deeper areas is reduced;
– Whether you smoke…. Healing rates are slowed in people that smoke.
Your chiropractor takes these things into account when recommending a treatment program.
Healing rates and lifestyle factors are the causes of how long your body can work at its best between maintenance checks as well. You can enhance your well being and hold your adjustments longer if you:
– Stop smoking
– Get your BMI ( Body Mass Index ) under 23… Calculate this HERE
– Eat a Mediterranean diet
– Move for 90 minutes a week ….fast walk/ treadmill/ jog